Meets California Board of Accountancy educational requirements in Accounting Subjects
The Applied Accounting Certificate Program teaches students the accounting standards and principles needed to carry out the fundamental tasks of the accounting occupation – providing information to clients by preparing, analyzing, and verifying financial documents. This continuing education program is also designed to meet the accounting subjects educational requirements for students preparing to sit for the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Examination (CPA Exam) without seeking an advanced degree.
- Select individual courses or participate in the entire certificate program to satisfy accounting subject educational requirements for CPA Exam
- Acquire a comprehensive set of accounting competencies
- Interpret and create financial statements and reports for use in making business decisions
- Solve complex accounting and business problems in practice
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
To earn a certificate, students must complete ten (10) required courses (for a total of 45 quarter units) with a grade of “C” or better in each course. Students with a bachelor's degree that includes coursework in accounting, may petition to waive up to three (3) required courses by submitting a petition to transfer form along with copies of transcript(s). To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All courses taken at UCI must be completed within five (5) years of starting the program. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
Stay Informed About
Who Should Attend
- College graduates who need additional accounting subject courses to meet educational requirements for CPA exam
- Accounting and Finance Managers
- Budget and Financial Analysts
- Internal Auditors
- Professionals considering the CPA Exam
- Anyone planning to pursue a career in accounting
- Ryan Bourque, CPA, MB.T, Senior Manager, AKT LLP, CPAs and Business Consultants
- Tom Busby, CPA, Professor, School of Business, Concordia University, Irvine
- Doug Gordan, CPA, President, DLG Consulting
- Raffaele Mari, CPA, CFP, CGMA, PFS, Lecturer, Economics, University of California, Irvine
- Kami Refa, CPA, Senior Manager, Moss Adams, LLP
- Ken Rugeti, CPA, Rugeti & Associates, P.C.
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UCI Division of Continuing Education (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.