today's solutions-driven business environment, analytical thinking, problem
solving and communications skills are key to providing solutions for process
improvements, systems development and/or organizational changes. Within an
organization, the Business Analyst practitioner works as liaison between the
client, stakeholders, and the solutions team.
UC Irvine Extension's Business Analyst Certificate Program focuses not only on
the essential business analysis competencies, techniques and practices required
of an effective business analyst but also on other skills such as communication,
leadership and the ability to view the big picture.
While the demands on a business analyst remain far-reaching, The International
Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®) offers a definition for today's Business
The business analysis practitioner is responsible for identifying the business
needs of clients and stakeholders to help determine solutions to business
problems. The business analysis practitioner is responsible for requirements
development and requirements management by eliciting, analyzing, validating and
documenting the business, organizational and/or operational requirements.
Solutions are not predetermined by the business analysis practitioner, but are
driven solely by the requirements of the business.
“The role of the business analyst is
becoming more important as companies around the globe make great requirements a
top priority. To succeed, the business analyst must be able to accurately
capture the requirements and separate the what from the how. Deep technical
knowledge is not needed. The trend is to focus requirements on business value to
provide a better guide to building what the customer wants.”
Director Strategic Platforms, Experian
A certificate is awarded upon completion of all required courses and a minimum of 2.5 units of elective courses each with a grade of “C” or better. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing the certificate program are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
Business Analyst Professional Round Table Discussion
Adapting the Business Analyst Role for Complex Strategic Projects
The Role of a Business Analyst: A Career Forecast
International Institute of Business Analysis
IIBA Orange County Chapter members may receive a 10% discount.
Visit the IIBA-OC Chapter Page for more information.
IIBA Los Angeles Chapter members may receive a 10% discount.
Visit the IIBA-LA Chapter Page for more information.
- Gain a comprehensive overview of the many highly-valued roles business analysts
serve in today's dynamic business environment.
- Explore the depth and breadth of commonly-used tools, techniques and approaches
to business analysis.
- Learn how to assess business problems and opportunities, and analyze solution options
to recommend those which best meet business needs.
- Learn about requirement lifecycles: how to elicit, verify and validate requirements,
then track and manage them throughout their lifecycles.
- Gain exposure to current real-world instructors who are professional business analysis
- Course content is aligned with A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge®
(BABOK® Guide), the industry standard for the Business Analyst profession.
- Shawna Camp, MBA, PMP
- Kathleen Hass, PMP, Principal Consultant, Kathleen Hass and Associates, Inc.
- Anne-Marie Larsen, Software Consultant, Nortridge Software
- Patti Lassen, Director, Strategic Platforms, Experian
- Desiree McDonough, MBA, PMP, Project Manager, Consultant
- Anne Nuttall, Director, IT Program, The Irvine Company
- Susy Ongko, Senior Business Systems Analyst, Mercury Insurance
- Jeanette Pigeon, CBAP®, President and CEO, aBetterBA
- Dena Ten Berge, Business Process and Technology Integration, Southern California Edison
- Susan Thompson, CBAP®, Business Analyst, Assurant Specialty Property