Today’s 24-hour news cycles, blogs, wikis, and social media outlets have fundamentally transformed how news content is reported, produced and distributed. This cultural shift toward the immediacy of online news has contracted the journalism field, displacing many traditional journalists—and opening up new professional pathways.
UC Irvine Extension’s fully online Digital Journalism program provides a professional level of study and practical tools for experienced writers, journalists, print and broadcast publishers looking to take the next step into merging traditional journalistic skills with the speedy content management and mastery of the ever-increasing variety of digital media outlets available on the Internet.
Who Should Attend
The program is intended for experienced writers, journalists and reporters seeking career enhancement and advancement in new media careers. In particular, the program will appeal to:
- professional journalists wanting to take advantage of new media opportunities
mid-career professionals who need an introduction to the critical technologies necessary in the diverse news marketplace
recent journalism graduates who are not yet prepared for the challenges of online journalism
public relations and social media professionals working on newspapers, magazines, blogs, and investigative or narrative journalism.
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.
Stay Informed About
How to Ramp Up Your Digital Journalism Skills
Digital Journalism Education and Career Planning Session
- Learn to utilize new media/technology tools for gathering, writing and disseminating news and information across multiple multimedia platforms including visual, audio, blogs, wikis, and graphics
- Be able to balance objectivity, accuracy and immediacy with speedy multimedia content delivery
- Determine the best way to tell a story while engaging readers with shared social media content
- Determine the appropriate use of mobile technology for journalistic social interaction
- Learn to market their personal brand, and decide how it relates to institutional brands
Specialized Studies Award Requirements
To receive the specialized studies award in Digital Journalism, complete a minimum of 10 units (100 hours) of core courses with a grade of “C” or better within five (5) years of enrolling in the first course. Upon completion of requirements, submit a Request for Specialized Studies with a non-refundable $35 fee online.