In today’s demanding
workplace, managers are constantly challenged to find new and innovative ways to involve and motivate employees and affect positive
change that improves the company’s bottom line. The Organizational Leadership and Communication Certificate Program focuses
on the practical skills professionals need to develop and maintain in order to lead others and be an agent of change. This program
begins by teaching participants the fundamentals of leadership and continues by teaching participants valuable skills in interpersonal
communication, small group communication, conflict management, intercultural communication, writing, and managing organizational
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook published by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics,
persons interested in becoming managers should have good leadership and communication skills and be able to establish effective
working relationships with many different people. They also must be able to coordinate several activities at once, quickly analyze
and resolve specific problems, and cope with deadlines. Successful managers must be well rounded and have excellent leadership
and communication skills.
- Communicate ideas clearly, powerfully, and intentionally to inspire and lead others to create vision, shape culture, and achieve
- Develop strong interactive communication skills to strengthen relationships across teams, departments, and hierarchical levels.
- Develop communication strategies for team building to effectively collaborate for better problem solving and decision making.
- Transform destructive conflict into constructive conflict while building trust in the organization and creating a productive
- Recognize cultural differences within and across organizations and use best communication practices to enhance understanding
and good will.
- Plan, introduce, and implement a successful change with employee support in today’s complex business environment.
- Build, manage, and lead virtual teams at a distance while implementing strategies to maximize collaboration and productivity.
- Use powerful writing skills to compose effective messages that produce desired results in various business contexts.
Stay Informed About
Organizational Leadership & Communication
Who Should Attend
This program is targeted to managers and those wanting to get into a management role to become effective leaders and change agents
in their organizations through competencies in people-management skills, effective communication skills, conflict management
skills, and team-building skills.
“Interpersonal skills are essential not only to managers in a business environment, but to everyday life. Yet, it is a
discipline which is rarely taught. Engaging with the various instructors and learning from their experiences really brought the
subject matter to life. The Organizational Leadership and Communication program improved my understanding of team dynamics and
has helped me communicate and manage work relationships more effectively.”
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
A certificate is awarded upon completion of eight (8) courses with a grade of "C" or better for a total of 16
units and 160 hours of instruction. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
Students who complete the Organizational Leadership and Communication Certificate Program are eligible to transfer credits into
the University of Wisconsin-Platteville’s
Master of Science in Organizational Change Leadership.
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.