Modeled after a traditional M.B.A. program, this certificate combines a series of courses that provide a solid foundation in basic business management. It ensures your exposure to those elements essential to success as a manager in the public or private sector. You'll leave this program with the tools necessary to competently and confidently face the demands and challenges of today's business environment.
Employers highly value the knowledge and skills you'll obtain in the areas of finance, human resources, marketing, leadership, international business, and management. As you acquire proficiency in strategic business analysis and develop your management skills, you will see your ability to contribute to your organization's achievements begin to soar.
Sustainable Business Management Track
Students have the option of taking electives in either the traditional Business Administration program, or electing to choose from the classes in the Sustainable Business Management Track. This will focus your knowledge in the areas necessary for success as a manager in public or private sector organizations concerned with the parallel imperatives of sustainability and profitability. Learn the best ways to synthesize your business acumen with sustainability in this exciting and emergent field. Students having previously completed the Business Administration certificate need only take two Sustainable Business Management track electives to receive the new certificate.
Who Should Attend
Newly appointed and prospective managers from sales, marketing, purchasing, finance, and human resources in either public or private industry will benefit from course work in this program. Students interested in the Sustainable Business Management Track may include project or process managers, policy makers, sustainability officers, change leaders, and students who have previously completed the Business Administration Certificate Program.
- Develop or refine your management and leadership skills
to enhance your current job performance, increase your
opportunities for advancement, and gain greater career
- Understand basic financial theories and practices
for improved bottom line management.
- Obtain an understanding of the various aspects of
- Learn techniques for basic business analysis and strategic
- Gain a better understanding of the global marketplace
and international competition.
- Explore the fundamentals of human resources management
including recruitment, interviewing, appraisal, organizational
analysis, and workforce diversity.
- Network with peers and other industry professionals.
- Design and deploy business-centered sustainability plans in multiple, varied work environments.
- Develop Strategies for the implementation of new sustainable improvement initiatives.
- Evaluate and report on performance, impact and outcome of activities in the sustainability arena.
Stay Informed About
Barriers to Organizational Innovation & Creativity
Free Event: Wednesday, March 2, 2016
First Annual Human Resources Webinar Series
Join us for this FREE, HR-focused series – presented by industry experts – and come away with new and relevant knowledge you can apply immediately on the job! Click under the titles below to view each webinar.
- Through Their Eyes: Using Empathetic Leadership During Times of Change
- Living Your Legacy: Succession Planning Your Own Impact
- In Pursuit of Pause: Mindfulness in Business
- 26 Ways to be a Thought Leader in Employee Benefits
Integrating Millennials into the High Tech Industry Work Force
“Participating in this program has helped me to become more aware and better prepared to understand the broad scope of my company specifically, and business in general. It has helped me to be more adaptive and valuable as an employee.”
Laura A. Smith
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
A certificate is awarded upon completion of six required courses and two elective courses (a total of 3.5 units or more) each with a grade of “C” or better. Students should take care to choose electives from their chosen track of either Business Administration or Sustainable Business Management. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
- Antonia Castro-Graham, Sustainability Analyst, Port of Long Beach
- Constanze Duke, Director of Sustainability, Simple Green
- David W. Lloyd, Chief Engineer (Ret.), Boeing
- Linda Marcot, Owner and Principal, LMC Consulting
- Jennifer McCusker, Senior Director of Organizational Development, Blizzard Entertainment
- Dave Nagy, Owner and Principal, Bolero Associates, LLC
- Adam Porter, Senior Director of HR, Edwards Lifesciences
- Iva Ray, Advisor and Instructor, UCI Division of Continuing Education
- Lindsay Wayne, Director of Organizational Development, Irvine Company
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UCI Division of Continuing Education (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.