Whether you are new to the field or a Spa Director looking to learn the latest spa business and marketing trends, UC Irvine Extension
Spa and Hospitality Certificate Program has the training you need to help you succeed.
Developed and taught by industry experts, the program will help you become proficient in all aspects of spa operations including:
- Business Planning/ Operations
- Marketing/ Retailing
- Human resources
- Customer Relations
- Legal Issues
“The program launched my transition from the technology industry to a fulfilling career in management at a beautiful resort spa. The program covers all facets of managing a spa; from the functional engineering of your layout to the financials, HR, and marketing, as well as projects that test how you would do this with your own spa. I valued the best practices discussed amongst varying backgrounds of students in my courses... all looking to move forward with successfully running a spa.”
- Acquire solid level of understanding and conceptual skills in management, operations, finance, human resources, marketing, products,
treatments, and equipment from beginning design and business planning process to opening a spa, managing day-to-day operations
and positioning for managed future growth.
- Learn strategic thinking for developing your business model and marketing plan based upon industry analysis and market research
of your target market.
- Learn how to develop an integrated service culture that supports profitability, employee retention, and high customer loyalty.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals who wish to enter the field of spa management
- Current spa owners, directors, and practitioners
- Spa employees needing management training
- Business professionals and entrepreneurs entering the spa industry
- Doctors, nurses and other medical professionals who are looking for a career change
- Manufacturers and developers of products for the spa and medical spa industries
- Wellness, health, medical, and fitness professionals seeking to expand their understanding of the industry
- Representatives from business, hospitality, and tourism industries considering spa related project developments
A certificate is awarded upon completion of five required courses and two elective courses (a total of 15 units) with a grade of “C” or better. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing the certificate program are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
UC Irvine Extension can provide individual courses or the entire spa certificate program at your facility. Please call (949)
824-9304 or email Lkadowak@uci.edu for further details.
Stay Informed About
Spa and Hospitality Management
A Look at Today’s Spa ConsumerFree Event: Thursday, April 10, 2014RSVP
Highlights from the 2013 Global Spa and Wellness Summit: A Defining Moment
Recorded on 10/31/2013
Where the Jobs Are: Opportunities in the 2 trillion dollar Wellness Economy
Recorded on 5/21/2013
Grow Your Spa Career Through Social Media
Recorded on 2/12/2013
The Spa Business Marketing Gap: Strategic Planning
Recorded on 11/6/2012
Financial Assistance Available
Visit our Student Loan Programs to find
the one designed to fit your needs.
Students who complete the Spa & Hospitality Management Certificate Program are eligible to transfer into the University of Houston's Bachelor of Science in Hotel & Restaurant Management degree program with 10
undergraduate semester credit hours.
UC Irvine has also solidified an articulation with the RMIT University wherein RMIT will accept coursework from this program as credit toward a Master of Wellness.
- Alfredo Carvajal, COO, WTS International
- Angela Cortright, Principal, Spa Gregories
- Jim Croghan, Director of Spa and Recreation, The Grand Del Mar, San Diego
- Susie Ellis, President, SpaFinder Wellness
- Ann Emich-Patton, Senior Spa Consultant, Blu Spas Inc.
- Michelle Frye, Spa Director, The Spa at La Costa, Carlsbad
- Nancy Griffin, Principal, Contento Marketing Group
- Janice Gronvold, Principal, Spectrec, Spa Business & Marketing Development
- Pat Johnson, President, JVE Corporation
- Grace Keenan, Medical Director & CEO, Nova Medical and Urgent Care Center
- Mia Kyricos, Chief Brand Officer, SpaFinder Wellness
- Jeremy McCarthy, Director of Global Spa Development and Operations, Starwood Hotels and Resorts
- Julie Tao, Principal, Tao Spa Solutions
- Jessica Timberlake, Spa Director, Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa