Whether you are new to the field or a Spa Director looking to learn the latest spa business and marketing trends, UC Irvine Extension
Spa and Hospitality Management Certificate Program has the training you need to help you succeed.
Developed and taught by industry experts, the program will help you become proficient in all aspects of spa operations including:
- Business Planning/ Operations
- Marketing/ Retailing
- Human resources
- Customer Relations
“The program launched my transition from the technology industry to a fulfilling career in management at a beautiful resort spa. The program covers all facets of managing a spa; from the functional engineering of your layout to the financials, HR, and marketing, as well as projects that test how you would do this with your own spa. I valued the best practices discussed amongst varying backgrounds of students in my courses... all looking to move forward with successfully running a spa.”
- Acquire solid level of understanding and conceptual skills in management, operations, finance, human resources, marketing, products,
treatments, and equipment from beginning design and business planning process to opening a spa, managing day-to-day operations
and positioning for managed future growth.
- Learn strategic thinking for developing your business model and marketing plan based upon industry analysis and market research
of your target market.
- Learn how to develop an integrated service culture that supports profitability, employee retention, and high customer loyalty.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals who wish to enter the field of spa management
- Current spa owners, directors, and practitioners
- Spa employees needing management training
- Business professionals and entrepreneurs entering the spa industry
- Doctors, nurses and other medical professionals who are looking for a career change
- Manufacturers and developers of products for the spa and medical spa industries
- Wellness, health, medical, and fitness professionals seeking to expand their understanding of the industry
- Representatives from business, hospitality, and tourism industries considering spa related project developments
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
A certificate is awarded upon completion of five required courses and two elective courses (a total of 15 units) with a grade of “C” or better. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
Stay Informed About
Spa and Hospitality Management
The Art & Science of Spa Menu DevelopmentFree Event: Tuesday, August 11, 2015RSVP
Top Ten Insights from the Future-Focused Global Spa and Wellness Summit
Recorded on 10/21/2014
Complexity of Spa Leadership: Why Managing a Spa Takes a Unique Set of Skills
Recorded on 8/5/2014
A Look at Today's Spa Consumer
Recorded on 4/10/2014
Financial Assistance Available
Visit our Student Loan Programs to find
the one designed to fit your needs.
Students who complete the Spa & Hospitality Management Certificate Program are eligible to transfer into the University of Houston's Bachelor of Science in Hotel & Restaurant Management degree program with 10
undergraduate semester credit hours.
- Grant Bruce, Director of Spa, Miraval Arizona
- Alfredo A. Carvajal, President, Delos International and Signature Programs
- Angela Cortright, Principal, Spa Gregories
- Jim Croghan, Director of Spa and Recreation, The Grand Del Mar, San Diego
- Susie Ellis, President, SpaFinder Wellness
- Ann Emich-Patton, Owner, Savvy Spas Consulting, LLC
- Michelle Frye, Spa Director, The Spa at La Costa, Carlsbad
- Nancy Griffin, Principal, Contento Marketing Group
- Janice Gronvold, Principal, Spectrec, Spa Business & Marketing Development
- Shawn Hallum, Director of Spa, Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka’anapali
- Jaime Huffman, Senior Vice President of Spa Development, Universal Companies
- Pat Johnson, President, JVE Corporation
- Mia Kyricos, Chief Brand Officer, SpaFinder Wellness
- Jeremy McCarthy, Group Director of Spa, Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group
- Julie Tao, Principal, Tao Spa Solutions
- Jessica Timberlake, former Spa Director, Laguna Cliffs Resort and Spa
Discounts are available for groups of three or more. For larger cohorts, we also offer customized online training. Please call (949) 824-9304 or email Lkadowak@uci.edu for more information.