What is the Clear Induction Administrative Services Credential?
The Clear ASC is designed for full-time school administrators who hold the Preliminary Administrative
Services Credential and now need to clear that preliminary credential by obtaining the Clear Administrative Services Credential.
The Clear Induction ASC is an individualized, job-embedded two-year program. As required by the CTC, this primarily coaching-based program includes an individual induction plan, professional learning opportunities, and ongoing assessment.
The Clear ASC is offered jointly by UC Irvine Extension and UCI School of Education and is a CTC approved Clear ASC program. As required by the CTC, in order to be eligible for Clear Induction ASC program, one must possess a valid California Preliminary Administrative Services Credential and be a first-time (thus, relatively brand new) full-time administrator prior to enrollment into the program.
As a public school administrator, do I have to have the Clear ASC?
The Preliminary Administrative Services Credential is valid for five years. The intent of state law is
that the holder will begin work on the Clear Administrative Services Credential shortly after being hired in school administration.
What are the requirements to obtain the Clear ASC through UC Irvine Extension?
- Possess a valid Preliminary Administrative Services Credential
- Employed in a full-time administrative position
- At the time of recommendation, complete a minimum of two years of successful full-time employment in a private or public school in a
position requiring the Preliminary Administrative Services Credential (as verified by employing school or district)
- Obtain a grade of B or better in Education X399A (Induction) and Education X399B (Final Evaluation)
- Complete 40-60 hours of Professional Development as required by the CTC
- Complete exit survey
How long is the program?
Two academic years which includes two required courses (EDUC X399A Induction and EDUC X399B Final
Evaluation). Each required course is nine months long.
How do I apply to UC Irvine Extension’s Clear Administrative Services Credential program?
You must apply and be officially admitted to the program prior to beginning coursework.
The application packet includes the following:
- A completed application form
- Copy of valid California teaching or service credential or credentials
- Copy of basic skills requirement
- Copy of valid California Preliminary Administrative Services credential
- Official verification of employment as a full-time administrator
- Statement of Personal History and Goals
For detailed information on the documents included in the application packet, visit the program's Student Handbook.
Click here to complete the application form and to submit the required documents stated above. Please submit the required documents in pdf format.
Stay Informed About
Clear Administrative Services Credential (ASC)
How much does the program cost?
Each course is $3,000, making the cost of tuition $6,000. There are two application fees which you pay for after you complete your coursework and when you are applying for the credential (a $125 application fee to UCI and a $102.50 application fee to the CTC). Please note fees are subject to change.
How do I enroll in the Clear ASC Program?
- Enroll in Education X399A through University Extension after you have been officially admitted to the credential program
- Once you have completed Education X399A and received a letter grade, enroll in Education X399B through University Extension
Following completion of the courses, what next steps are involved?
Submit an application packet to the Credential Analyst at the UCI School of Education. You will need the following
documents and materials to process the Clear ASC recommendation:
- One official sealed transcript (available through University Extension) reflecting your grades in Education X399A and Education X399B
- Completed credential application (download from the Commission on Teacher Credentialing website
- Official verification of at least two years of successful employment as a school administrator
- Copy of your Preliminary Administrative Services Credential if not submitted at the time of admissions
- A valid credit or debit card will be necessary to make payment directly to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing
via CTC website (You will receive email instructions after your application has been submitted by the credential
- A $125.00 check made payable to UC Regents. UCI charges $125 for processing the credential recommendation. This fee is in addition
to the $102.50 fee paid to the CTC.
Once all required documents are submitted and the credential analyst has processed your credential recommendation with the CTC, you will receive an email requesting payment from the CTC. For more detailed directions on how to pay for your credential after UCI has recommended you, go to Quick tips-How to Complete Your Online Recommendation. After payment is received and the CTC completes your application process, you will receive a second email confirming the payment for your credential. You can use this email as verification for your district that your credential is being processed. Recommendations completed online are normally processed within 10 working days and posted to the CTC website. Employers and education agencies seeking proof that a document has been granted by the Commission may use the "Search for an Educator" button on the CTC website and key in the SS# and DOB of the person whom they wish to verify to view the electronically displayed information for the official record.
- Susan Belenardo, Superintendent, La Habra City USD
- Liane Brouillette, Associate Professor, UCI School of Education
- Monica Colunga, Principal, Irvine Unified School District
- Catherine D’Aoust, Coordinator, Instructional Services (retired), Saddleback Valley USD
- Darlene Le Fort, Superintendent, Coastline Regional Occupational Program
- Thomas Jacobson, Assistant Superintendent (retired), Newport-Mesa USD
- Kathleen Ossenmacher, Teacher, Newport Mesa USD
- Virginia Panish, Director of Teacher Education, UCI School of Education
- Tim Reece, Principal, Capistrano USD
- Jeanne Sesky, Teacher, Oxford Academy
- Sarah Singh, Credential Analyst and Counselor, UCI School of Education
- Robert Taylor, Superintendent, Walnut Valley USD
- Ronald Wenkart, General Counsel, OC Department of Education
- Matthew Witmer, Assistant Superintendent, Educational Services, Walnut Valley USD
Discounts are available for groups of three or more. Please call (949) 824-7945 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.