professionals who are planning to launch an independent practice must prepare for this new business model. In addition, they
need to fully understand the college admissions process, and how to address legal, insurance, marketing, ethical and general
The Independent Educational Consultant Certificate Program provides precisely the knowledge and skills needed to build a business
practice. The program also provides the knowledge requisite to navigate the college admissions process and the specialization
to meet the needs of varied clients.
- Learn how to effectively work with families through the college admissions process and financial aid network.
- Acquire the basic skills required to start, open, and grow a successful and ethical educational consulting practice.
- Learn strategic thinking for developing your business model and marketing plan using proven tactics.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals interested in transitioning into the college admissions consulting profession.
- Individuals looking to launch a private educational consulting practice.
- Already well-established consultants seeking professional development.
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
A certificate is awarded upon completion of five required courses and two elective courses (a total of 15 units) each with a grade
of “C” or better. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
- Steven Antonoff, Certified Educational Planner, Antonoff Associates, Inc.
- Judith Berg, Judith Berg Associates
- Dodge Johnson, Principal, College Planning
- Jane Shropshire, Shropshire Educational Consulting, LLC
- Mark Sklarow, Executive Director, Independent Educational Consultants Association
- Sally Springer, Springer Educational Consulting
- Bari Norman, Director, Expert Admissions
10% Discount for IECA Members
UC Irvine Extension has made arrangements to offer members of the Independent Educational Consultant Association (IECA) a 10%
discount on courses within the Independent Educational Consultant Certificate Program. Discounts must be requested at time of
enrollment and cannot be applied retroactively. Please contact the Student Services office at (949) 824-5414 for complete details
and/or to apply the IECA discount code to your enrollment.
For more information about this discount code, please refer to the Member Benefits section of the IECA’s website.
Stay Informed About
Independent Educational Consultant
Navigating the College Process for Students with Learning Disabilities
Basic Counseling Skills for an Independent Educational Consultant
Paying for College: Strategies Beyond the EFC
Personality and Career Assessments in College Admissions Counseling
Structuring the College Intake Consultation for Success
Making a Difference – Educational Consulting for Therapeutic and Special Needs
“The IEC Certificate program provided me the knowledge, experience, and confidence to start my own private college consulting
business, Slosberg College Solutions LLC. On the business side, the coursework has helped me define and price the services I
offer as well as promote my business through my website, blog, press releases and networking. The teachers in the IEC Certificate
program were extremely knowledgeable and shared their practical, real-world experience. The class discussions were stimulating
and students in the class were very supportive of each other.
On the professional side, the coursework prepared me to work effectively with my initial clients and to share my expertise in
the community through a series of free talks on topics including college admissions, financial aid, and college support for students
with Learning Differences and/or AD/HD.”
Slosberg College Solutions LLC