professionals who are planning to launch an independent practice must prepare for this new business model. In addition, they
need to fully understand the college admissions process, and how to address legal, insurance, marketing, ethical and general
The Independent Educational Consultant Certificate Program provides precisely the knowledge and skills needed to build a business
practice. The program also provides the knowledge requisite to navigate the college admissions process and the specialization
to meet the needs of varied clients.
- Learn how to effectively work with families through the college admissions process and financial aid network.
- Acquire the basic skills required to start, open, and grow a successful and ethical educational consulting practice.
- Learn strategic thinking for developing your business model and marketing plan using proven tactics.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals interested in transitioning into the college admissions consulting profession.
- Individuals looking to launch a private educational consulting practice.
- Already well-established consultants seeking professional development.
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
A certificate is awarded upon completion of five required courses and two elective courses (a total of 15 units) each with a grade
of “C” or better. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
- Steven Antonoff, Certified Educational Planner, Antonoff Associates, Inc.
- Judith Berg, Judith Berg Associates
- Vita Cohen, Cohen College Consulting
- Bari Norman, Director, Expert Admissions
- Jane Shropshire, Shropshire Educational Consulting, LLC
- Mark Sklarow, Chief Executive Officer, Independent Educational Consultants Association
- Sally Springer, Springer Educational Consulting
10% Discount for IECA Members
UCI Division of Continuing Education has made arrangements to offer members of the Independent Educational Consultant Association (IECA) a 10%
discount on courses within the Independent Educational Consultant Certificate Program. Discounts must be requested at time of
enrollment and cannot be applied retroactively. Please contact the Student Services office at (949) 824-5414 for complete details
and/or to apply the IECA discount code to your enrollment.
For more information about this discount code, please refer to the Member Benefits section of the IECA’s website.
Stay Informed About
Independent Educational Consultant
Using the Secrets of Screenwriting to Write Your College Essay
Free Event: Thursday, July 21, 2016
The ABCs of Merit Scholarships
School Counselor to Independent Educational Consultant: Making the Transition
Counseling Your Clients on the New SAT and ACT
“Every class challenged me to apply my learning to my practice. There were several times the knowledge I gained helped to ramp up my practice quicker and with less risk and introduced me to resources I might have taken months to stumble across. I walked away with plenty of immediately applicable materials. The hidden ‘gem’ of this type of program is the network you create with your classmates. They were generous to a fault in providing feedback and support, and we are still in touch and encouraging one another long after our program is over. The instructors were professionally supportive throughout as well.”
Jennifer Buyens, Program Graduate
Independent College Consultant, collEDGE4u.com, Minneapolis, MN
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UCI Division of Continuing Education (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.