UC Irvine Extension’s online Reading Certificate Program is designed to help credentialed teachers meet local, state, and federal requirements that ensure that all pupils have fair access to high-quality education with a foundation in reading. The Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) serves as the approving agency and issuer of the Reading Certificate and completion of the certificate represents the first half of the courses required to obtain the CTC-approved Reading and Language Arts Specialist Credential.
The Reading Certificate Program also serves the needs of community college instructors, teachers outside of California, and others in the field that require knowledge in the area of reading education but do not meet the requirements of the CTC-issued certificate.
What are the requirements to begin the CTC-issued Reading Certificate program?
- Possess a valid clear California teaching credential
- Possess an English learner authorization
- Complete a minimum of three years of full-time service in public schools or private
schools at the time of recommendation for the Reading Certificate
- Access to a classroom to participate in Education X300.76 Reading Practicum
To be recommended to the Commission, you must have access to a K-12 learning environment
at the time you are enrolled in Education X300.76 to complete the Practicum requirement.
You must identify and work with individuals and/or small groups of students at both early (PreK-3) and intermediate (4th grade and up) levels of literacy acquisition. The learning environment need not be your own. Examples of an acceptable practicum
experience include—but are not limited to:
- A colleague’s classroom in your district or in another district
- An afterschool reading program sponsored by a school district
- Special learning environments, such as those established by grants or that are part of institutes or laboratories
How do I apply to the CTC-issued Reading Certificate program?
It is recommended that you apply to the program prior to beginning coursework. Enrollment does not constitute admission to the program. Your completion requirements are based upon when you are admitted to the program, not when you began taking coursework.
The application packet includes the following:
- A completed application form
- Copy of valid California teaching credential or credentials
- Copy of English learner authorization
- Copy of CBEST card
- Official verification of at least three years of successful employment on a valid California teaching credential
- Statement of Intent
Click here to complete the application form and to submit the required documents stated above. Please submit the required documents in pdf format. Further details regarding the application process may be found in the Student Handbook.
What are the requirements to earn the UC Irvine Extension-issued Reading Certificate?
If you do not meet the requirements for CTC Certification (such as teaching at a community college, teaching out of state, or working in a private industry), you may still earn a UC Irvine Extension-issued Reading Certificate. For the UC Irvine Extension certificate, you must complete all the coursework required for the CTC Certificate, including the Practicum. Participants in the UC Irvine Extension-issued Certificate program have a wider variety of options for the Practicum experience. For example:
- Out-of-state public or private K-12 schools
- Postsecondary/community college classrooms
- Private tutoring groups
- Adult Education classrooms
- Classes you are teaching overseas
How do I apply to UC Irvine Extension-issued Reading Certificate program?
Click here for the application form. Submit the Application Form and Statement of Intent to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to UCI Extension, Education Programs, PO Box 6050, Irvine, CA 92616-6050. Further details regarding the application process may be found in the Student Handbook.
How much does it cost?
Each online course is $525, making the total cost of tuition $3150.
What courses are required for the program?
Approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, the Reading Certificate consists of 6 online courses totaling 18 credit units. All coursework must be completed with a grade of “B” or better.
Is there a required sequence of courses?
Although there is not a required sequence of courses, EDUC X300.76 Reading Practicum must be completed after all other coursework in the Reading Certificate program. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course.
Onsite Courses Available
UC Irvine Extension can provide individual courses, specialized in-services, or the entire Reading Certificate Program onsite at schools, district professional development centers or other venues at reduced costs. Onsite courses cover a number of topics critical to increasing teachers’ skill sets and reading achievement of pupils and can be tailored to unique demands of the school being served.
To learn how to bring the Reading Certificate Program to your school district, contact (949) 824-7945 or email@example.com.
Advisory Board/Instructor Committee
- Shannon Chollman, former Reading Specialist, Corona Norco USD
- Lesley Clear, Lecturer, UC Irvine Extension
- Marina Michalski, Teacher, Anaheim Union High SD
- Diane Shimoda, Curriculum Specialist, Anaheim City SD (retired)
- Tammy Steel, Principal, Westminster SD
- Tina Witmer, Educational Consultant, Ascend Leadership & Learning, LLC.