Today’s embedded systems development ranges from microprocessor-based control systems, to system-on-chip (SoC) design, and device software development. A myriad of implementations can be found in consumer electronics, medical devices, and commercial and military applications.
This certificate program looks at embedded systems engineering as a synergistic function between hardware and software device design and development. Participants learn the essential concepts of embedded systems development through a practical, hands-on approach utilizing industry design automation (EDA) tools and design kits.
Who Should Enroll
Working professionals who are interested in transitioning into the embedded systems/system-on-chip (SoC) industry. Hardware/software engineers; computer engineers; communications and networking engineers; control systems engineers; and other technical professionals involved in embedded systems design and development.
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
The Embedded Systems Engineering Certificate Program is designed for individuals
with working experience or education in engineering or computer science, and can
demonstrate proficiency in C programming.
Candidates must complete EECS 805, C Programming for Embedded Systems; and EECS
X497.2, Introduction to Digital Logic and Hardware Architecture; or possess equivalent
experience or education in engineering or computer science.
A certificate is awarded upon completion of 15 credit units (9 required and 6 elective
credit units), with a grade of "C" or better in each course. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
IEEE Members receive a 10% discount!
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.
Stay Informed About
Embedded Systems Engineering
Technology Commercialization: Advancements in Protecting and Commercializing your New Technology
Free Event: Wednesday, June 15, 2016
Embedded Systems & Device Software Engineering: Education Planning Session
- Gain essential knowledge of embedded systems design and programming
- Learn how to program an embedded device
- Become proficient in programmable logic design and analysis
- Increase your understanding of real-time operating systems
- Explore the latest embedded technologies
- Utilize EDA tools to optimize embedded systems designs
Graduates from UC Irvine Extension’s Embedded Systems Engineering program are eligible to transfer credits to:
Note: Any student wishing to transfer credits must obtain a “B” or better in each course.
- Aaron Baranoff, Senior Principal Engineer at VubIQ
- Bob Condie, Engineering Firmware Development Consultant
- Daniel D. Gajski, Professor Emeritus and Recall Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine
- Ian Harris, Professor, Computer Science, University of California, Irvine
- William Hohl, SIP Documentation and Training, Intel Corporation
- Joseph Hwang, Senior Engineering Manager, Panasonic Avionics Corporation
- Henry Jacobs, Senior Software Engineer, Applied Medical
- John Koelsch, Senior Architect, Safenet Government Solutions, LLC
- Farhad Mafie, President and CEO, Savant Company, Inc.
- Rich Newman, Sales Engineer, Synopsys Inc.
- Robert Weber, Software Consultant, R&B Embedded Technologies
- Saleen Yamani, Principal Engineer, Western Digital