Optical Instrument Design
Certificate Program Online
An increasing amount of today’s consumer, industrial and business products incorporate optomechanical systems. These are essential to virtually every industry including defense, medical, clean energy, nanotechnology, automotive, electronics, communications, entertainment, computers, and consumer products. The Optical Instrument Design Certificate Program builds on optical systems engineering skills gained in the Optical Engineering Program and address the growing demand for skilled professionals who can conceptualize, design, and manufacture these optical and optomechanical components, systems, and instruments.
Who Should Attend
The Optical Instrument Design Program provides advanced study options for experienced optical engineering professionals allowing them to address a wider range of optical and optomechanical design issues. The elective courses provide an opportunity for students to develop specialized skills related to their professional needs or personal interests.
- Gain useful insights and practical skills for designing and engineering optomechanical components and instruments
- Explore the latest technologies in optical engineering including new optomechanical materials and the latest cost effective manufacturing techniques
- Develop skills with industry standard optical and mechanical software tools
- Discover innovative approaches for optical instrument design and analysis
- Learn through hands-on design courses which provide skills in manual design, computer simulation, and the art of creating optical instruments
- Understand and effectively communicate details of optical & optomechanical technical specifications to manufacturer’s and quality control personnel
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English
Optical Engineering & Optical Instrument Design: Education Planning Session
OPTOBOTICS - Precision Motion for the Optics Age - A look around the Martian Surface
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
Candidates should complete EECS X496.51 Geometrical Optics and EECS X496.52 Physical Optics or possess equivalent experience or education. Candidates that choose to take both courses may count one as an elective course.
A certificate is awarded upon the completion of 15 credit units (6 required and 9 electives credit units), with a grade of “B” or better.
An Application for Candidacy must be submitted before completion of the third course in the program for students who are pursuing the certificate.
All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course.
Register for a membership with the Optical Society of Southern California to receive 15% off required courses.
- Ed Arriola, Chief Engineer, LightWorks Optics
- Valentina Doushkina, M.Sc., Director of Engineering, N2 Imaging
- Derek Dunn-Rankin, Ph.D., Professor and Chair, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, UC Irvine
- Mark Gallagher, Ph.D., J.D, Partner, Knobbe, Martens, Olson & Bear, LLP
- Keith J. Kasunic, Ph.D., Technical Director, Optical Systems Group LLC
- G.P. Li, Ph.D., Professor, School of Engineering; Director, California Institute for Telecommunications & Information Technology, UC Irivne
- T. Scott Rowe, Principal, Rowe Technical Design
- Donn M. Silberman, M.S. Founding Director, Optics Institute of Southern California; Sr. Applications Engineer, PI (Physik Instrumente)
- James D. Trolinger, Ph.D., Co-Founder, MetroLaser, Inc.
- Bruce Tromberg, Ph.D., Professor, College of Medicine, Biomedical Engineering, Director, Beckman Laser Institute, UC IrvineWytze van der Veer, Ph.D., Senior Director of Laser Engineering, Cutera Inc.
- Wytze van der Veer, Ph.D., Director of the UC Irvine Laser Spectroscopy Center, UCI