Compliance with regulatory requirements, remediation and planning for sustainability greatly influences corporate operational issues and business decisions. UC Irvine Certificate Program in Environmental Management prepares professionals at every career level to meet the challenges of the expanding regulatory framework and the increasing need for sustainable and green initiatives in the rapidly changing environmental profession.
Who Should Enroll
Individuals transitioning into the environmental field; specialists and mid-level experienced professionals who want to enhance and update their skills and knowledge to be better prepared for additional technical and management responsibilities.
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
One year of college chemistry; or completion of Introductory Chemistry of Hazardous Materials, Chemistry X470, is required for the certificate.
A certificate is awarded upon successful completion of two required courses (6 units) and three elective courses (9 units) each with a grade of "C" or better in each course. It is recommended that candidates complete the required courses prior to the elective courses.
To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
- Learn about the roles of environmental regulatory agencies
- Recognize the importance of multi-media environmental management
- Understand the basic sciences influencing environmental and sustainability issues
- Conduct environmental activities such as project planning and assessing compliance
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.
Stay Informed About
Environmental Management: Education Planning Session
AEP Members Receive a 10% Discount
Please contact Student Services at (949) 824-5414.
Professional Associations of Interest
- David Bauer, President, Targhee, Inc.
- Anne Brown, Principal, Environmental Management Consulting
- Jeffery V. Dagdigian, Managing Partner, Waterstone Environmental Inc.
- William Dennison, Principal, Dennison & Associates
- Joel Farrier, Vice President, Southern California, District Manager, AECOM
- Lori Galloway, Vice President, CH2M Hill
- Stanley Grant, Professor, University of California, Irvine, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Ken Herrera, Manager, T&D Environmental Services, Southern California Edison
- Peggy Lobnitz, Corporate Technical Director, Sustainable Solutions, Western Solutions
- Betty Olson, Professor, University of California, Irvine, Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Christina Schwerdtfeger, President, Coto Consulting Inc.
- Judy Yorke, President & Principle Engineer, Yorke Engineering, LLC