Facility management is the practice of coordinating the physical
work environment with the people and work of an organization. This discipline integrates
the principles of business administration, architecture, and the behavioral and
This certificate program furthers the understanding of this diverse field with an
innovative series of courses focusing on design and management of facilities, from
concept to installation, to long-term efficient use.
“Benchmarking for Sustainability”
Check out this article written by our instructor, Paul Howland!
Who Should Enroll
- Individuals who desire to enter the facilities management profession
- Professionals who are involved in the design or management of facilities, building
operations, maintenance operations, construction, or occupational safety
- Facilities professionals who wish to increase their knowledge in specific areas
in preparation for the IFMA Certified Facility Manager (CFM) examination
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
A certificate is awarded upon completion of 18 credit units (9 required and 9 elective
credit units) with a grade of "C" or better in each course. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. It is recommended that candidates complete the required courses prior to the elective courses. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
IFMA members receive a 10% discount!*
Prepare yourself for Industry Certification
UC Irvine Extension's Facilities Management Certificate program has
been designed and approved based on the body of knowledge consistent with IFMA's
underlying principles on facility management. After completing this program you
will be prepared to sit for the
Certified Facility Manager (CFM) designation
available directly through
IFMA, which recognizes competency-based certification in all areas of FM.
Please visit the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) at www.IFMA.org
and the IFMA Orange County Chapter at www.ifmaoc.org
*Please call (949) 824-5414 for details.
Visit our booth at the
Southern California Facilities Expo
May 20-21, 2015
Anaheim Convention Center
Facilities Management: Education Planning Session
- Broaden skills and knowledge of all areas relating to facilities management.
- Obtain valuable insight about the impact of technology on the management and design
of efficient facilities
- Gain knowledge to help prepare for credential exams such as IFMA's Certified Facility
- Mike Drager, Director, Corporate & Restaurant Facilities, CKE Restaurants, Inc.
- Paul Howland, MBA, Principal, Steam Plant Training & Consulting
- Subodh A. Kumar, IFMA Fellow, President, Chartered Facility Management Group, Inc.
- DeBorah J. Lozada, CBCP, Associate Director, Disaster Recovery, FOX Entertainment
- Phyllis Meng, IFMA Fellow, Deputy Executive Officer, General Services, Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority
- Ted S. Oyama, Manager of Architecture, AEPC Group, LLC
- John D. Secor, Principal Architect, Archetype International
- Alan Smith, Director of Operations, Facilities Management, University of California, Irvine
- Bill Wostenberg, CBCP, Manager, Automobile Club of Southern California
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.