Every two days there is as much new data generated as was created in the first 2000 years of our history. The “Internet of Things” and related trends will further increase the amount of data generated every day. Successful businesses throughout the world have become increasingly reliant on a rapidly expanding amount of data to remain competitive. This “unstructured” data, which often consists of web activity, video and audio recordings, photographs, e-mails, and tweets, can be combined with “structured” data, such as financial specifics of a customer order, to provide the organization with the critical intelligence and insight required to succeed in a highly competitive global marketplace.
A drop in the price of hardware required to deal with these large data sets, coupled, with improved functionality of a wide variety of Big Data software tools, has created a perfect storm with skyrocketing demand for individuals with the skills to manipulate and analyze these data sets. The Big Data certificate provides individuals with the background needed to effectively collect and manage extremely large amounts of information, perform data-driven discovery and prediction, extract value and competitive intelligence for their organizations.
Who Should Enroll
This program is designed for individuals within a wide range of professional or academic backgrounds who desire to learn how to better collect, store, analyze, and act on large data sets to drive business results.
Specialized Studies Award Requirements
Students must complete 11 credit units (4 required and 7 elective credit units) with a grade of “C” or higher in each course. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. To receive your certificate, submit a Request for Certificate after completing all program requirements. Students not pursuing a specialized studies award are welcome to take as many individual courses.
Stay Informed About
Predictive Special Topic Webinar: The Power & Politics of Predictive Analytics and Big Data
Big Data Education Planning Session
- Turn existing large, structured and un-structured data sets into cohesive information and extract valuable insight to solve business issues
- Use industry standard analytic tools including, Hadoop, Teradata, Knime, Aster, IBM-Netiza, HP-Veritca, Statistica, R, Python and Crystal Ball
- Develop the strategies and skills needed to effectively collect and manage Big Data and perform data-driven discovery, prediction, and prescription
- Develop Big Data architectural strategies for your organization
- Improve business processes efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Work with Data Architecture software including Hadoop, Terradata and Aster, and related tools (Java, SQL and MRSQL)
- Integrate powerful and traditionally untapped sources of unstructured Big Data including social media data and other web generated information
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.