The Java programming
language lies at the core of many large-scale business applications – especially business-to-business commercial systems
that fuel the Internet economy. In addition, the portability inherent in Java is useful for programming a wide variety of portable
electronics, from smart phones (Android, BlackBerry, Samsung) to embedded systems in a rapidly expanding number
of consumer products. Programmers currently using other languages are likely to encounter projects in the near future that require
knowledge of Java.
Who Should Enroll
This certificate program is designed for people who already have introductory Java programming experience or experience using
another object-oriented language such as C++ or C#. If you already work with Java, you may find the courses on Unified Modeling
Language (UML) and object-oriented analysis and design to be useful as stand-alone courses to help improve your application design
Because most Java application development is conducted using an engineering approach, we recommend that you have at least a bachelor’s
degree in a technical field, such as computer science or engineering, before starting this program. If you have no previous programming
experience, you may begin the program by taking I&CSCI X460.10 Java Programming I.
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
To receive the certificate in Java Programming, you must complete the four (4) required courses and 3 units of elective courses (a total
of 15 units of coursework), with a grade of "C" or better in each course. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
Spring Framework: Information Session
Recorded on 6/6/2014
Developing Web Application with Java EE 7: Information Session
Recorded on 4/11/2013
- Write applications using Java for stand-alone or client/server systems
- Develop Java applets for the Internet
- Apply good analysis and design procedures to software development in Java
- Use the Unified Modeling Language (UML) as a notation for software design
- Develop graphical user interfaces (GUIs) for Java applications
- Prepare for advanced Java study such as the Enterprise Development using Java Technologies Certificate Program
- John Clingan, Prinicpal Product Manager, Oracle Corp.
- Craig S. Dickson, Software Engineer Architect, The Juggernaut Group
- Martin Hubert, CEO, Freightgate (eLogistics)
- Prakash Malani, Consultant, MCS LLC
- Paul Moore, Senior Programmer/Analyst, Capital Group
- David Otaguro, Senior Software Engineer, Google
- Ruben Reusser, CTO, Headwire
- Jeff Shelley, Software Engineer, MedAvant Healthcare Solutions
- Hong Tan, Developer, Accenture
- Ray Tayek, Independent Consultant