Highly successful businesses know that the rules have changed. No longer can they
rely solely on their product or service to grow; they must leverage their data (financial,
customer support, web interactions, etc.) to better understand their customers and
learn from the collective experiences of their organizations to remain competitive.
Predictive analytics provides clear, actionable initiatives based on existing company
data and is a natural extension of related corporate initiatives in areas such as
web analytics, business analysis, and data mining. As Eric Siegel, Ph.D., chairman
of the Predictive Analytics World often quotes, “Business is becoming a numbers
game and Predictive Analytics is the way to play it.”
In his bestselling book, Moneyball, Michael Lewis demonstrates the power of predictive
analytics as he tells the story of the Oakland A’s manager, Billy Beane (made
famous by his portrayal by Brad Pitt in Colombia Picture’s hit film). Beane,
who was constrained with the lowest team budget in Major League Baseball, used predictive
analytics techniques to orchestrate a dramatic turnaround in his team’s performance.
UC Irvine Extension’s Predictive Analytics Certificate is a comprehensive
online program designed for working adults within a wide range of professional backgrounds to develop the skills they need to succeed in this exciting,
high growth field. Learn how to better understand customer needs and business processes
in ways that drive business results. Optimize your marketing campaigns and website
behavior to increase customer responses and conversions.
Who Should Enroll
This program is intended for professionals who are using or wish to use predictive
analytics to optimize business performance at a variety of levels in a wide range
of industries. The predictive analytics program is often the logical next step for
professional growth for those in business analysis, web analytics, marketing, business
intelligence, data warehousing, and data mining.
The program is open to working adults within a wide range of professional backgrounds.
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
The Predictive Analytics Certificate is awarded upon the minimum completion of five
(5) required courses and three (3) elective courses totaling eight (8) courses for a minimum
of sixteen (16) units or 160 hours of instruction with a grade of “C” or higher in each course.
Students interested in pursuing both the Predictive Analytics and Data Science programs may overlap two courses to satisfy certificate requirements into both programs.
To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
- Understand the art and science of predictive analytics to define clear actions that
result in improved decisions and business results
- Develop actionable plans from existing corporate data and initiatives to increase
sales, reduce marketing costs, and improve customer retention
- Select, prepare, construct, integrate, structure, and format data to be most effective
to ensure the predictive model meets the business goals
- Learn how to suppress who are customers least likely to respond to direct marketing
- Define appropriate business goals for a predictive analytics implementation in the
“language” of a specific industry or business
- Optimize product development, manufacturing, testing, and maintenance
- Understand the use and assist in the selection of industry standard analytics tools
- Integrate powerful and traditionally untapped sources of information including social
data, unstructured text and Big Data sets
- Manage fraud by scoring and ranking data collected from interaction with customers
Stay Informed About
Presented in partnership with:
Predictive Analytics World is the business-focused event for predictive
analytics professionals, managers and commercial practitioners.
Predictive Analytics Special Topic Webinar: Risk Analytics
Predictive Special Topic Webinar: Predictive Analytics and Decisioning Systems for Medicine
- Dean Abbott, President, Abbott Analytics
- John Elder, Ph.D., Chief Scientist, Elder Research
- Ian Harris, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science, Donald Bren
School of Information and Computer Sciences, University of California, Irvine
- Gary Miner, Ph.D., Senior Consultant/Statistician, Statsoft
- Bob Nisbet, Ph.D., Consulting Data Scientist
- Ash Pahwa, Ph.D., CEO, A+ Web Services
- Eric Siegel, Ph.D., Chair, Predictive Analytics World
- Padhraic Smyth, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Computer Science, Donald Bren School
of Information and Computer Sciences, University of California, Irvine
- Jim Sterne, President, Target Marketing, Chairman, Digital Analytics Association,
Founder, eMetrics Marketing Optimization Summit
- James Taylor, CEO, Decision Management Solutions
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.