An American Bar Association approved program.
Practical Training Taught by Attorneys and Paralegals
Obtaining a paralegal certificate from top-tier University of California, Irvine, reflects your commitment to educational excellence and appreciation for academic challenge. Our American Bar Association-approved program gives you knowledge, career preparation, and a prestigious certificate that will differentiate you in the job market.
Who Should Attend
If you are passionate about working with people, have an appreciation for the law, and enjoy the satisfaction of making a real difference in your work, a paralegal career is the perfect choice for you. Those interested in becoming part of a legal services delivery team working under the supervision of attorneys, considering law school, or wanting to take individual courses to brush up on specific skills, should attend.
- To provide an educational foundation that assists paralegals in becoming ethical, professional, and effective members of a legal services delivery team
- To prepare students for a career as a paralegal working under the supervision of an attorney in law firms, corporations, and public sector organizations
- Develop and practice oral and written communication skills
- Develop technology skills and a framework for learning new technology skills
- Develop analytical skills through the study of case-law and the federal and California
- Develop and practice critical thinking skills through substantial writing assignments
- Develop practical litigation and transactional skills and create a framework for
understanding the most common areas of law practice in California
- Develop an understanding of the role and responsibilities of paralegals as well as
the rules of professional conduct and their application to legal professionals
- Develop and practice the attitude and skills necessary to succeed as a paralegal in
various legal settings
Hear from graduates and members of the legal community
Candidates for the certificate must meet the admissions requirements and complete the Application for Candidacy by completion of their third course. Students must complete a total of 30 units/300 hours of instruction with a grade of “C” or
above in all courses. Students must take 15 of the required 30 units in the traditional classroom format to be awarded the paralegal certificate. The certificate program cannot be taken entirely online. Certificate candidates must complete the program within
five years of taking their first course.
Students should take required courses in the order listed on the grid.
Your UC Irvine Paralegal Certificate is valid under Business and Professions Code
Section 6450. However, paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the
public except as permitted by law.
After you have completed all requirements, you may request to receive your
official certificate by completing the
Request for Certificate and
returning it to our offices as noted on the form. All requirements must be
completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.