Emerging technologies, ever-changing regulations, and increased competition create many challenges for the medical product industry. UCI Division of Continuing Education's program, developed with government and industry advisors, fulfills a recognized need for comprehensive professional learning in the successful design, development and delivery of medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and other biomedical products. The curriculum addresses the breadth of the development process, including a thorough understanding of compliance, engineering for improved performance, how to mitigate commercial and financial risks, and building marketing success.
Who Should Enroll
- Regulatory professionals, such as those in regulatory affairs or quality assurance
- Engineers, such as those involved in biomedical product design and development
- Manufacturing professionals
- Clinical managers and other healthcare professionals
- Life science managers, such as research scientists and product managers
- Gain the knowledge needed to design and create medical devices and pharmaceuticals
- Acquire an understanding of the medical device product development process and knowledge needed to manage medical device intellectual property rights
- Learn how to implement successful medical device design and manufacturing by avoiding common quality and regulatory pitfalls
- UCI Division of Continuing Education is a RAPS registered provider for professional development
- Earn credits to qualify for RAC recertification
- Learn from instructors seasoned in practical industry experience who share their
Certificate Eligibility and Requirements
A certificate is awarded upon completion of 15 credit units (9 required and 6 elective credit units), with a grade of “C” or better in each course.
Note: Six credit units may be counted toward the Clinical Trials: Medical Device and Drug Development Certificate Program where courses are shared.
To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. Students are encouraged to declare candidacy as soon as possible, but no later than after the third course in the program. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing a certificate are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
Stay Informed About
Medical Product Development
Compliance, Regulatory & Medical Product Development Education Planning Session
Medical Device Software Development and Maintenance
Graduates from UCI Division of Continuing Education's Medical Product Development program are eligible to transfer credits to:
Note: Any student wishing to transfer credits must obtain a “B” or better in each course.
- Todd Cushman, President & CEO, Bioness
- Matthew Jenusaitis, President and CEO, OCTANe
- Dan Modi, Director, Quality & Regulatory Certification, Alcon Research, Ltd.
- Albert Rego, Scientific Consultant to the Life Science Industry
- Bruce Sargeant, COO, Source Scientific
- Sumit Sen, Chemist (Technology-Based Expert), U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Del Stagg, Ph.D., Regulatory Consultant, Founder of the Orange County Regulatory Affairs Society (OCRA)
- Eric Sun, CEO, QS Labs
- Carl Wyrwa, Director of Quality, Beckman Coulter, Inc.
- Jeff Yuen, President and CEO, Jeff Yuen & Associates, Inc.
On-site Training Available
Our Corporate Training specialists can deliver this program or customize one that fits your organization’s specific needs. Visit Corporate Training or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UCI Division of Continuing Education (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation.