Sustainable Business Management
(Formerly titled Sustainability Leadership)
Certificate Program Online
The Sustainable Business Management Certificate Program will be revised from its current form effective Fall 2013. At this time we are no longer accepting applications for candidacy. Credit will be eligible to transfer to certain other certificate programs with department approval. See Schedule of Courses under Related Documents for list of offerings. Please only apply for candidacy if you have finished or plan to finish the certificate requirements by Summer 2013.
People, Profit, and
Planet: Going Green Makes Good Business Sense.
Going green not only helps the planet, it will benefit your bottom line through resource cost savings and creating consumer loyalty.
Businesses that invest now will also gain competitive advantage by being differentiated from others while preserving the environment.
Providing an interdisciplinary approach, the Sustainable Business Management program integrates sustainable development and environmentalism
with business management strategy to achieve corporate social responsibility.
Who Should Attend
Individuals seeking a career change or positions within the sustainability field, managers, directors, architects, urban planners,
landscape architects, designers, business owners, consultants, and all those responsible for going “green.”
Complete a total of 15 units: 4 required courses (3 units each) plus a total of 3 elective units. Receive a certificate by successfully
completing all courses with a grade of “C” or better. All course work must be completed within five years. A certificate
is awarded after you submit your Application for Candidacy and Request for Certificate Form.
- Jesse Baker, Ph.D., Founder, Ecofficiency.org
- John W. Grosskopf, PE, BCEE, Vice President, Strategic Initiatives and Sustainability, TRC Solutions
- David W. Lloyd, M.S., Chief Engineer, Boeing Space & Intelligence Systems
- Richard A. Matthew, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Planning, Policy & Design, and Political Science, UC Irvine, School of Social
Ecology, Director, Center for Unconventional Security Affairs
- Jennifer Schwab, M.A., LEED AP Sierra Club Green Home
- Elsa C. Yasukawa, Ph.D., M.A., International Associaton AIA: Principal, ycc International LLP, LEED AP, LEED Faculty
- Judy Yorke, PE, CPP, Owner Principal Engineer, Yorke Engineering, LLC
Stay Informed About
Sustainable Business Management
Sustainable Studies Education Planning Session
Recorded on 6/5/2012
Sustainable Studies: Legal Issues Concerning the Environment
Recorded on 9/21/2011
- Identify current and future key environmental regulatory compliance legislation that impacts organizational strategy, planning
- Develop a broad, systems-thinking approach to affect every value-creation lever responding to government legislation, consumer
concerns and stakeholder pressure
- Link competitive advantage and corporate social responsibility to assess strategic opportunities and risks while minimizing
U.S. Green Building Council Education Provider
UC Irvine Extension
is an USGBC Education Provider committed to enhancing the ongoing professional development of the building industry and LEED
Professionals through high-quality education programs. As a USGBC Education Provider, UC Irvine Extension has agreed to abide
by the USGBC-established operational and educational criteria, and is subject to annual reviews and audits for quality assurance.
This program is supported by:
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.