This program was designed to provide project managers with the
advanced skills they need to execute business strategies effectively, while preparing
teams for the next frontier in project management.
Bringing together theoretical concepts and practical knowledge, participants will
balance project and program objectives against organizational politics and explore
the ins and outs of supporting global projects and programs–from both a pragmatic
and interpersonal perspective. Students will develop a blueprint for executing strategy
by successfully managing a portfolio of critical programs and projects. Practical
instruction is applied to processes, organizational structures and tools to ensure
project work yields the desired business results.
Who Should Attend
- Experienced project managers and senior level managers who want to expand their
knowledge by focusing on today’s higher-level strategic project management
issues, build on their expertise, acquire new skills, and go beyond PMP® accreditation
- Participants who plan, control or manage the execution of complex projects or programs
The program is also for:
- Experienced project managers seeking to bring new dimensions of leadership to projects,
programs and portfolios
- PMO professionals seeking to enhance their organization’s project management
- Product development managers, business line managers, IT managers, financial managers,
event managers, marketing directors, and other business professionals who need an
advanced yet practical project management education
- Senior managers and executives looking to leverage their organization’s technical
and managerial expertise through a strong project management capability
Eligibility and Prerequisites
Participants who wish to enroll in the Advanced Project Management Specialized Studies
Award need to have at least three years of project management practical experience.
Several courses in the certificate program satisfy the educational prerequisites
for the following exams offered through the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Program Management Professional (PgMP)®
- PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP)®
- PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)SM
Visit Project Management Institute, Inc.
for more details.
Individuals must complete courses totaling a minimum of 15.0 quarter units (150
hours), in any sequence, with a letter grade of “C” or better. Students
must complete and submit an Application for Candidacy. All requirements must be
completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course.
After satisfying the above requirements, including the candidacy application, approved
candidates may submit the Request for Certificate.
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English
Advanced Project Management
- Remain competitive and manage change in a multi-dimensional environment
- Learn to lead cross-functional teams in a global context
- Improve productivity and profitability
- Apply various introduced methodologies to improve success with complex projects
- Distinguish among different software tools that support the front end of the project
- Examine the supervisory and productivity issues related to managing multi-site projects
- Apply advanced scheduling methods
- Diana Adler, Technical Specialist/Scientist, Management and Supervisory Development,
Nuclear Training Division, Southern California Edison
- Kenneth W. Binnings, EDD, M.B.A., PMP Director, Customer Implementation and Migration
- Timothy Covington, M.S., PMP, Senior Manager –Engineering, The Boeing Company
- Susan Embry-Busch, Partner, Sagan Group
- Quentin Fleming, M.S., Author and Management Consultant, Fleming Management Consultancy
- Steven D. Hall, PMP, Sr. Project Manager, Abbott Vascular
- Leroy Lambright, PMP, CSQA, Director, Engineering Quality Assurance, L3 Communications/IEC
- Kristine Hayes Munson, IT Risk and Compliance Manager, VP, State Street
- Karen Nguyen, PMP, Program Manager, Kia Motors America
- Janice Preston, PMP, CPA, Core Performance Concepts, Inc.
- Tony Roberts, M.S., PMP, VP, Program Management, Masimo Corporation
- Gregg Scott, PMP, PMI-OC Chapter President, Consultant, Project Manager, GDS Operations
- Stan K. VanBibber, PMP, SCPM, AVP, Enterprise Project Management
- Marty Wartenberg, M.B.A., P.E., Business Consulting & Training
- Julie Wilson, ACS, CEPM, FLMI, PMP
- Deborah Wright Henley, M.B.A., Manager, Project Management – IT Solutions,
Northrop Grumman Corporation
PMP®, PMI-SP®, PMI-ACPSM, and Program Management Professional® are marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.