Communication in today’s business place has become more complex, with the introduction of technology presenting both opportunities and challenges. Robust organizations demand effective communicators that can effectively manage business and organizational changes, concerns or events using technological as well as traditional means. This program focuses on providing professionals the tools and techniques necessary to foster open dialogue, project credibility, and effectively communicate, even in challenging situations.
The Business Communication Specialized Studies Program serves to build partnerships, define intellectual resources, and promote ideas, products or services in order to create business value. Built around a set of well-defined learning objectives designed to provide students with the skills needed to become effective communicators, the program presents the fundamentals of communication in a business environment such as business writing, problem solving, and decision making techniques. Additional topics include: negotiation skills, group facilitation skills, presentation skills, and interviewing within the professional context.
Who Should Attend
The program is well-suited to all professionals seeking to become effective communicators in their companies or organizations. Students will develop and enhance communication skills such as listening, sharing information, problem solving, practicing awareness of nonverbal behavior, and expressing one’s thoughts clearly and concisely.
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English
Stay Informed About
- Apply a variety of communication deliverables such as assessing an audience, formulating communication objectives, selecting language and tone, and identifying nonverbal behavior.
- Provide immediate usable skills needed to quickly, confidently and assertively identify and deal with various types of people, difficult or not, in a variety of contexts while marinating your own self confidence.
- Improve your business writing skills by learning how to articulate your thoughts clearly, concisely and with a style that gets your writing read properly in the business environment.
- Recognize common obstacles to effective problem solving and decision making.
- Gain insight into the art and science of negotiation and recognize how to be a part of a negotiation team.
- Utilize multiple organizational strategies for preparing oral presentations.
Specialized Studies Award Requirements
A Specialized Studies Award is conferred upon the completion of four required courses and one of elective course for a minimum of 10.5 units (105 hours) of credit. These elective courses comprise a combination of credit units and CEUs for a Specialized Studies Award total of 105 hours of instruction. For more information about the program, please call Kathy Amoroso at (949) 824-5528.