Investor relations professionals are the pivotal link between
their organization and the outside world. They are a key corporate resource, disseminating
information to shareholders, financial professionals, and potential investors about
their company's competencies, competitive advantages, strengths, weaknesses, strategies,
vision and mission – the objective being to ensure that the company will be
accurately valued in the marketplace.
This certificate program is the first and only online program in investor relations
and was developed in collaboration with the National Investor Relations Institute
(NIRI), the recognized authority in investor relations. Courses in this program
are based on the Standards of Practice for Investor Relations, which
contains information that the Institute has determined investor relations professionals
need to know and understand.
Who Should Attend
Entry-level and experienced communications professionals, corporate, financial and
investment personnel, private company owners who are considering going public, and
individuals from other fields will benefit from this program.
A certificate is awarded upon completion of six required courses each with a grade
of "C" or above for a total of 165 hours of instruction. Please apply
for certificate candidacy by the end of
your third course.
After you have completed all requirements, you may request to receive your official
certificate by completing the Request for Certificate
Form and returning it to our offices as noted on the form. All requirements
must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English
- Learn how to structure and implement a strategic IR program.
- Develop the skills to draft and disseminate appropriate information to the investing
community — from effective annual reports to crisis communications management.
- Gain financial acumen to effectively support complete valuation of the company by
- Understand the investor relation professional’s role in corporate governance
and learn how to provide support to new board members.
- David Erickson, vice president, Edwards Lifesciences
- Jeanie Herbert, director investor relations, ISTA Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Tania Jernigan, vice president Investor Relations, CORE Realty Holdings Management,
- Ann Jones, principal, Jones, Dolan & Company
- Cynthia Skoglund, investor relations, Beckman Coulter, Inc.