This program is registered with Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. CFP Board is a certifying organization whose mission is to benefit the public by fostering professional standards in personal financial planning.
The following courses are eligible for Continuing Education Units from the State
of California Department of Insurance:
- Mgmt X433.7 Insurance Risk Management (30 hours both classroom and online
- Mgmt X433.8 Retirement Planning/Employee Benefits (33 hours classroom and 20
hours online format)
- Mgmt X433.9 Estate Planning (30 hours classroom and 20 online format)
The following courses are eligible for California MCLE credit:
- Mgmt X433.9 Estate Planning (up to 36 hours)
Who Should Attend
- Bankers, accountants, stockbrokers and
- Mid-career professionals in the finance industry who want to hone their skills
- College graduates and other individuals
who are considering a career in personal financial planning
Financial Planning is projected to grow by 32 percent over the 2010-2020 period, putting it among the most highly ranked jobs in the U.S. Growth is needed to assist the millions of workers expected to retire in the next 10 years.
– Occupational Outlook Handbook,
2012-13, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
A certificate is awarded upon completion of eight required courses each with a
grade of "C" or above for a total of 315 hours of instruction. Please apply for
certificate candidacy by the end of your third course.
After you have completed all requirements, you may request to receive your
official certificate by completing the
Request for Certificate and
returning it to our offices as noted on the form. All requirements must be
completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first
- Linda Barlow, CFP®, financial consultant
- Don DeBok, CFP®, assistant planner,
Newport Planning Corporation
- Michael Feldman, Executive Vice President of California Branch Banking, Union
Bank to the PFP Advisory Committee
- Delia Fernandez, CFP®, financial planner, Fernandez Financial Advisory
- Linda Hewitt, CFP®, CRPC®, co-founder, Financial Planning
- Ray Kim, CFP®, President and CEO, Diligent Financial Group, Inc.
- Nancy LeClaire, CFP®, CPA, co-founder
Financial Planning Education Solutions
- Gary Miller, Portfolio Manager, Trusted Financial Advisors
- Timothy Neuville, CFP®, ChFC, CLU, financial planner, Pacific SW Financial
Stay Informed About
Personal Financial Planning
- Obtain knowledge and skills that will enable you to offer sound financial advice and quality client service.
- Acquire the job knowledge requirements to sit for the CFP® Board’s CFP® Certification Examination.
- Earn University of California certification which awards program graduates the designation of Personal Financial Planner.
- Strengthen your professional network.
- Program formats include: online and on campus (regular and accelerated)
Note: Students pursuing the educational requirements to sit for the CFP® Certification Examination are required to complete the 8 required courses. Upon completion, please create an account at www.cfp.net and then email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CFP ID# to have your eligibility submitted to the CFP Board. Students who pass the examination must also fulfill the work experience and ethics requirements as required by the CFP Board to become a Certified Financial Planner™. For more information about these requirements, visit the CFP Board at www.cfp.net.
UC Irvine Extension offers a PFP Scholarship established through the Financial Planning Association (FPA). Download a PFP Scholarship Application or contact
Francine Berg (949) 824-4661.
CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, and marks are certification marks owned by Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. These marks are awarded to individuals who successfully complete CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
The CFP® certification is the most widely recognized financial
planning certification in the U.S. UC Irvine Extension does not certify individuals
to use the CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, and certification
marks. CFP® certification is granted only by Certified Financial
Planner Board of Standards Inc. to those persons who, in addition to completing
an educational requirement such as this CFP Board-Registered Program, have
met its ethics, experience, and examination requirements. Students interested
in sitting for the exam must complete all of the required courses.
California MCLE credit and Continuing Education Units from the State of
California Department of Insurance are available for some courses.
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English