Whether you are new to the field or a Spa Director looking to learn the latest spa business and marketing trends, UC Irvine Extension Spa and Hospitality Certificate Program has the training you need to help you succeed.
Developed and taught by industry experts, the program will help you become proficient in all aspects of spa operations including:
- Business Planning/ Operations
- Marketing/ Retailing
- Human resources
- Customer Relations
- Legal Issues
"In today's global and expanding spa markets, accessibility, expertise and convenience are crucial. The Spa & Hospitality Management Certificate is strategically designed to focus on and develop areas that are essential to a successful spa career. Content-rich classes taught by industry experts deliver a curriculum that challenges spa professionals, while developing the skills to run more profitable and
gratifying business units. As the spa industry advances toward a higher-quality level of experience and expectation, UCI Extension's Spa Program prepares you fundamentally for long lasting success through interactive courses that you can engage in from any location around the world. I am honored to support the developing growth of this highly reputable program."
– Kasia Mays
Director of Spa Development
The Resort at Pelican Hill
- Acquire solid level of understanding and conceptual
skills in management, operations, finance, human resources,
marketing, products, treatments, and equipment from beginning design and business planning
process to opening a spa, managing day-to-day operations and positioning
for managed future growth.
- Learn strategic thinking for developing your business
model and marketing plan based upon industry analysis
and market research of your target market.
- Learn how to develop an integrated service culture that
supports profitability, employee retention, and high customer
Who Should Attend
- Individuals who wish to enter the field of spa management
- Current spa owners, directors, and practitioners
- Spa employees needing management training
- Business professionals and entrepreneurs entering the spa industry
- Doctors, nurses and other medical professionals who are looking for a career change
- Manufacturers and developers of products for the spa and medical spa industries
- Wellness, health, medical, and fitness professionals seeking to expand their understanding
of the industry
- Representatives from business, hospitality, and tourism industries considering spa
related project developments
A certificate is awarded upon completion of five required
courses and two elective courses (a total of 15 units)
with a grade of “C” or better.
Students not pursuing the certificate program are welcome to take as
many individual courses as they wish. Please see Application for Candidacy. After you have completed all requirements, you may request to receive your official certificate by completing the Request for Certificate.
All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course.
UC Irvine Extension can provide individual courses or the
entire spa certificate program at your facility. Please call
(949) 824-9304 or email Lkadowak@uci.edu for further
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English
Stay Informed About
Spa and Hospitality Management
Corporate Wellness and the Opportunities for Spas
Recorded on 9/11/2012
Highlights from the 2012 Global Spa and Wellness Summit
Recorded on 7/10/2012
Spa Experience Mapping
Recorded on 5/31/2012
Evolving International Standards for Authentic Green Skin Care
Recorded on 2/7/2012
Positive Leadership in Spas and Hospitality: Connecting Meaning to Work
Recorded on 11/16/2011
Financial Assistance Available
Visit our Student Loan Programs to find
the one designed to fit your needs.
Students who complete the Spa & Hospitality Management Certificate Program are eligible to transfer into the University of Houston's Bachelor of Science in Hotel & Restaurant Management degree program with 10 undergraduate semester credit hours.
UC Irvine has also solidified an articulation with the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) wherein RMIT will accept coursework from this program as credit toward a Master of Wellness.
- Alfredo Carvajal, senior VP, Universal Companies, Inc.
- Angela Cortright, Principal, Spa Gregories
- Jim Croghan, Director of Spa and Recreation, The Grand Del Mar, San Diego
- Susie Ellis, President, Spa Finder
- Ann Emich-Patton, Senior Spa Consultant, Blu Spas Inc.
- Michelle Frye, Spa Director, The Spa at La Costa, Carlsbad
- Nancy Griffin, Principal, Contento Marketing Group
- Janice Gronvold, Principal, Spectrec, Spa Business & Marketing Development
- Pat Johnson, President, JVE Corporation
- Grace Keenan, Medical Director & CEO, Nova Medical and Urgent Care Center
- Mia Kyricos, former Director of Global Spa Brands and Programming, Starwood Hotels
- Kasia Mays, Director of Spa Development, Pelican Hill
- Jeremy McCarthy, Director of Global Spa Development and Operations, Starwood Hotels
- Valory Reed, former Spa Director, St. Regis Resort
- Julie Tao, former Spa Director, Montage Resort and Spa