the gifted and talented is an inspirational and rewarding challenge. Gifted learners tend to show characteristics that differ from their peers in every area of function: cognitive, affective, physical and intuitive.
Offered completely online, UC Irvine Extension’s Gifted and Talented Education Specialized Studies program will help you develop a new skill set and gain a deeper understanding of the needs and issues of this diverse group of students.
This teacher-focused program is also aligned with CAG, NAGC, and state standards of excellence.
- Identify and evaluate diversely gifted students
- Understand and meet unique psychological needs
- Gain the ability to provide instruction that is balanced between theory and application
- Acquire the skills necessary to build differentiated curriculum to meet the needs all of learners, regardless of level
Who Should Attend
- Experienced and novice teachers seeking the latest strategies for curricular differentiation
- Individuals interested in Gifted & Talented Education theory and practical applications
- Individuals exploring entry or career transition into GATE instruction
Onsite Courses Available
UC Irvine Extension can provide individual courses, specialized in-services, or the entire GATE Specialized Studies program onsite at schools, district professional development centers, or other venues at reduced costs. On-site courses cover a number of topics critical to increasing teachers' skill sets and can be tailored to unique demands of the school being served. To learn how to bring GATE programming to your school district, contact (949) 824-9304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How much does it cost?
Fees range from $350 to $500 per course. Depending on which courses you choose, the tuition cost of the GATE specialized studies is approximately $2,150. There is also a $35 certificate request fee.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English
Stay Informed About
Gifted & Talented Education
Bioinspiration: How Nature Can Inspire a New Generation of Creative Leaders and Innovators
Using Technology to Enhance Creativity in the Classroom
4th Annual Gifted and Talented Education Webinar Series
Join us for a FREE
, expert-led series designed
for teachers, administrators, and parents of the gifted! If you strive for a
better understanding of the needs and capabilities of today's gifted and
talented students, you won’t want to miss this opportunity. A credit option is
- Cluster Grouping: A Paradigm Shift in Gifted Education
- Understanding and Supporting the Emotional Aspects of Giftedness
- Identifying, Serving, and Enfranchising Our Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Gifted Students
- Technology Tools for GATE Teachers
| Download a Flyer
Attention GATE Teachers!
We offer a number of resources in our free online GATE community, including past webinar recordings and information about upcoming events. To join our community, please create a free user account
. Once your user account is created, click here
and enter the password: gate_access.
Please call (949) 824-9427 if you have any questions.
How long is the program?
The GATE specialized studies consists of 9 units. By taking one or two courses per quarter, many students complete the program in 9 to 15 months. Students are encouraged to complete the program within 5 years.
What courses are required for the program?
You may choose any combination of GATE courses that add up to 9 units.
What are the requirements for the GATE Specialized Studies?
The Specialized Studies Certificate is awarded upon successful completion of 9 units with a grade of “C” or better and a completed application for candidacy.