Educational consulting professionals who are planning to launch an independent practice must prepare for this new business model. In addition they need to fully understand the college admissions process, and how to address legal, insurance, marketing, ethical and general business issues.
The Independent Educational Consultant Certificate Program provides precisely the knowledge and skills needed to build a business
practice. The program also provides the knowledge requisite to navigate the college admissions process and
the specialization to meet the needs
of varied clients.
- Learn how to effectively work with families through the college admissions process and financial aid network.
- Acquire the basic skills required to start, open, and grow a successful and ethical educational consulting practice.
- Learn strategic thinking for developing your business model and marketing plan using proven tactics.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals interested in transitioning into the college admissions consulting profession.
- Individuals looking to launch a private educational consulting practice.
- Already well-established consultants seeking professional development.
A certificate is awarded upon completion of five required courses and two elective courses (a total of 15 units) with a grade of “C” or better. Students not pursuing the certificate program are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish. A certificate is awarded after you submit your Application
for Candidacy and Request for Certificate Form.
All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student
enrolls in his/her first course.
- Steven Antonoff, Certified Educational Planner, Antonoff Associates, Inc.
- Judith Berg, Judith Berg Associates
- Karol Gottfredson, former Coordinator of Intern Teaching Credential Program, University of California—Irvine
- Dodge Johnson, Principal, College Planning
- Jane Shropshire, Shropshire Educational Consulting, LLC
- Mark Sklarow, Executive Director, Independent Educational Consultants Association
- Bari Norman, Director, Expert Admissions
Independent Educational Consultant
Independent Educational Consulting: State of Profession 2012 and Beyond
Building a Broader Practice: Independent Educational Consulting Isn't Just for
10% Discount for IECA Members
UC Irvine Extension has made arrangements to offer members of the Independent Educational Consultant Association (IECA) a 10% discount on courses within the Independent Educational Consultant Certificate Program. Discounts must be requested at time of enrollment and cannot be applied retroactively. Please contact the Student Services office at (949) 824-5414 for complete details and/or to apply the IECA discount code to your enrollment.
For more information about this discount code, please refer to the Member Benefits section of the IECA’s website.
"The IEC Certificate program provided me the knowledge, experience, and confidence to start my own private college consulting business, Slosberg College Solutions LLC. On the business side, the coursework has helped me define and price the services I offer as well as promote my business through my website, blog, press releases and networking. The teachers in the IEC Certificate program were extremely knowledgeable and shared their practical, real-world experience. The class discussions were stimulating and students in the class were very supportive of each other.
The assignments, which included working with high school students on college selection and brainstorming topics for the college essay, interviewing college admissions and learning disability personnel, and researching special topics, were extremely valuable. The coursework covered both the knowledge needed to navigate the college admissions process, including a class on working with students with Learning Differences and a class on Financial Aid, as well as classes on developing and marketing the business. On the professional side, the coursework prepared me to work effectively with my initial clients and to share my expertise in the community through a series of free talks on topics including college admissions, financial aid, and college support for students with Learning Differences and/or AD/HD."
– Rana Slosberg
Slosberg College Solutions LLC
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English