Facility management is the practice of coordinating the physical
work environment with the people and work of an organization. This discipline integrates
the principles of business administration, architecture, and the behavioral and
This certificate program furthers the understanding of this diverse field with an
innovative series of courses focusing on design and management of facilities, from
concept to installation, to long-term efficient use.
“Benchmarking for Sustainability”
Check out this article written by our instructor, Paul Howland!
Who Should Attend
- Individuals who desire to enter the facilities management profession
- Professionals who are involved in the design or management of facilities, building
operations, maintenance operations, construction, or occupational safety
- Facilities professionals who wish to increase their knowledge in specific areas
in preparation for the IFMA Certified Facility Manager (CFM) examination
IFMA members receive a 10% discount!*
Prepare yourself for Industry Certification
UC Irvine Extension's Facilities Management Certificate program has
been designed and approved based on the body of knowledge consistent with IFMA's
underlying principles on facility management. After completing this program you
will be prepared to sit for the
Certified Facility Manager (CFM) designation available directly through
IFMA, which recognizes competency-based certification in all areas of FM.
Please visit the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) at www.IFMA.org and the IFMA Orange County Chapter at www.ifmaoc.org.
*Please call (949) 824-5414 for details.
Facilities Management: Education Planning Session
- Broaden skills and knowledge of all areas relating to facilities management.
- Obtain valuable insight about the impact of technology on the management and design
of efficient facilities
- Gain knowledge to help prepare for credential exams such as IFMA's Certified Facility
- Paul Howland, Director, Facilities Operations: Physical Planning & Facilities
Management, Cal State University, Long Beach
- Subodh A. Kumar, IFMA Fellow, President, Chartered Facility Management Group, Inc.
- DeBorah J. Lozada, CBCP, Associate Director, Disaster Recovery, FOX Entertainment
- Ted S. Oyama, Manager of Architecture, AEPC Group, LLC
- John D. Secor, Principal Architect, Archetype International
- Bill Wostenberg, CBCP, Manager, Automobile Club of Southern California
A certificate is awarded upon completion of 18 credit units (9 required and 9 elective
credit units) with a grade point average of "B" or better.
Click here for an Application for Candidacy.
All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls
in his/her first course.
On-site Training Available
Through Corporate Training, we can deliver this program or customize one that fits
your organization's specific needs. Visit Corporate Training
or call (949) 824-1847 for information.
English Proficiency Requirement
All certificate programs at UC Irvine Extension (classroom and online formats) require
professional-level English language proficiency in listening and note-taking, reading
comprehension and vocabulary, written expression, and oral presentation. If you
would like to refine your English language proficiency prior to beginning one of
our programs, please see our English