Sustainability is so much more than simply “going green.” In reality, the expanding field of sustainability is immensely important in virtually every facet of life, and every core subject of global and societal study – from economics to sociology, from biology to business.
The fully online Sustainable Solutions and Practices Certificate Program focuses on understanding and applying best practices in sustainability from the community level to the global stage. Providing an interdisciplinary approach to this wide-spectrum field of study, the program integrates sustainable development, sociological awareness and environmentalism with business management, leadership and reporting strategies to achieve a well-rounded and informed basis for a career in the field of sustainability.
Who Should Attend
Sustainability practitioners, sustainable technology analysts, change leaders, project managers, process managers, entrepreneurial professionals, small business owners, staff members of grass-roots organizations, public sector leaders and policy makers, and individuals seeking to enter the sustainability field or take on greater sustainability-focused and change-driven responsibilities in their current position.
Students must complete all required courses for a total of 15.5 units to earn the Sustainable Solutions and Practices Certificate. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in each course in order to be eligible for the certificate. To become an official candidate in the program, students pursuing the certificate must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. To receive the certificate after completing all program requirements, students must submit a Request for Certificate. All requirements must be completed within five (5) years after the student enrolls in his/her first course. Students not pursuing the certificate program are welcome to take as many individual courses as they wish.
Stay Informed About
Sustainable Solutions & Practices
Micro-Sustainability: A Primer for Local Impact
- Design and deploy sustainability plans in multiple, varied work environments
- Develop strategies for the implementation of new sustainable improvement methodologies
- Evaluate and report on performance, impact and outcome of activities in the sustainable arena
- Identify current and future key environmental regulatory compliance legislation that impacts organizational strategy, planning and operations
- David W. Lloyd, M.S., Chief Engineer, Boeing
- Christina Schwerdtfeger, Ph.D., Owner, Coto Consulting
- Jesse Baker, Ph.D., Owner, Ecofficiency
- Richard Demerjian, M.S., Director, Office of Environmental Planning & Sustainability, UC Irvine
- Judy Yorke, PE, CPP, Owner & Principal Engineer, Yorke Engineering, LLC
- Constanze Duke, M.A., Director of Sustainability, Simple Green
U.S. Green Building Council
UC Irvine Extension is an USGBC Education Provider committed to enhancing the ongoing professional development of the building industry and LEED Professionals through high-quality education programs. As a USGBC Education Provider, UC Irvine Extension has agreed to abide by the USGBC-established operational and educational criteria, and is subject to annual reviews and audits for quality assurance.